Part of the train line that used to run through this now abandoned tunnel used to have a line to Whittingham’s own station. It was used to transfer supplies and staff to the hospital. The tunnel was built in 1850 to connect other lines with Preston. Eventually though the tunnel was closed down and abandoned. There are also rumours of ghosts down here too!